Fiorentina Style T Bone Steak
1.9kg-2kg (4) T-bone steaks
flaky sea salt &freshly ground black pepper
juice of 2 lemons
20ml (4 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
· Preheat barbecue char grill or flat plate to hot. If cooking inside place a heavy-based grill plate onto and heat till hot.
· When cooking surface is hot and you are ready to cook smear steaks with oil and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
· Place steaks on barbecue, or on indoor grill plate, and on each side sear for 2 minutes or till brown on each side. Use a scraper as opposed to tongs to turn steaks.
· Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side. Turn steaks over and cook a further 2-3 minutes, or till steaks are cooked medium-rare. If juices begin to exude from the steaks the steaks are cooked medium.
· Remove steaks from heat and place on a warmed tray. Set tray away from heat and cover tray with a heavy tea towel. Rest steaks for 5 minutes.
· Carve meat from T-bone and slice into 2cm thick slices across the grain arranging fillet and rib eye separately.
· Drizzle with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
· Serve hot or warm. Accompany with Parsley Salsa or Beetroot Horseradish Condiment.Parsley Salsa
Parsley Salsa can be stored in refrigerator for up to three days. Return to room temperature before serving.INGREDIENTS
85g (3 cups) Italian or curly parsley leaves (stalks removed)
70g (1/2 medium) finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic (chopped)
45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
170ml (1/2 cup + 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp flaky sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
· Place parsley, onion, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper into a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process till herbs are chopped and mixture is amalgamated.
· Place into a covered container and refrigerate till required.
Beetroot and Horseradish Condiment
(makes 200g/serves 8)
If kept covered and refrigerated Beetroot and Horseradish Condiment will keep for up to two days. This is really good also served as a spread on bread with cold meat.INGREDIENTS
15g (2 tbsp) very finely chopped onion
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
45ml (3 tbsp) sour cream
2 tsp prepared horseradish sauce
½ tsp flaky sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
150g cooked beetroot (coarsely grated}
· Place onion, lemon juice, sugar, sour cream, horseradish sauce, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Stir well till combined and sour cream is smooth.
· Add beetroot and mix well.
· Serve at room temperature with barbecued steak.