(makes 550ml/enough for 8-10 serves)
This is a very smooth and unctuous runny brandy custard.
This recipe forms a part of Ruth Pretty's Christmas Pudding recipe.
150ml (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp + 2 tsp) milk
150ml (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp + 2 tsp) cream
1/2 vanilla bean (split in half lengthwise)
4 egg yolks
80g (8 tbsp) castor sugar
30ml (2 tbsp) brandy
- Place milk, cream and vanilla bean into a heavy-based saucepan placed over medium heat. Heat to just below boiling point.
- Place egg yolks and castor sugar into a bowl and whisk till pale and thick.
- Pour scalded milk and cream over egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Return mixture to saucepan and place over low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon till mixture coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil as it will curdle.
- Strain custard through a fine sieve. Retain vanilla bean for future use. Add brandy, stir to combine and chill till required or for up to three days.
- Serve cold if you wish or gently reheat to serve warm.