Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf
(makes one 26cm x 10cm loaf)
If you wish accompany with gherkins, pickled onions and mustard. Alternatively next time you make gravy to accompany roast chicken, make extra and freeze to serve with this meatloaf.
1.5kg chicken mince
135g (1 + 1/2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs
250ml (1 cup) homemade preserved tomato sauce, or purchased passata
1 tbsp grain mustard
2 eggs (lightly whisked)
18g (1/4 cup) finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped parsley leaves
2 tbsp capers (rinsed and chopped)
1 tsp flaky sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
15ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
180g (1 medium) onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup chopped sage leaves
2 tbsp chopped marjoram leaves
1/2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
· Generously grease with baking spray, butter or oil one 26cm x 10cm loaf tin. Preheat oven to 180°C.
· Into a large bowl place chicken, breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, mustard, eggs, cheese, parsley, capers, salt and pepper.
· Into a heavy frypan set over medium heat place oil. Add onion, garlic and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is light golden. Add sage, marjoram and thyme and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture is combined. Cool and then add to ingredients in bowl.
· Thoroughly mix ingredients together. (This is a job best done by hand.)
· Pack mixture firmly into prepared loaf tin, mounding slightly in the middle.
· Place into preheated oven and bake for 1 to 1 + 1/4 hours or until meatloaf has pulled away from side of tin, is brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven, place tin on a cake rack and cool for 15 minutes.
· Unmould and portion to serve. Alternatively refrigerate, unmould and portion to serve cold.