GARLIC BÉCHAMEL SAUCE
This is part of the Roasted Eggplant, Red Pepper and Zucchini Lasagne with Puy Lentils If you wish increase quantity of sauce by 50% and spoon some hot sauce onto each serving plate to sit underneath lasagne.
500ml (2 cups) milk
3 cloves garlic
35g (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) butter (diced)
30g (4 tbsp + 1 tsp) flour
1 tsp Maldon sea salt
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- Pour milk into a saucepan and add garlic. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and place a lid on the saucepan. Leave for 15 minutes so garlic infuses the milk.
- In a second saucepan melt butter over a medium heat, stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes or until butter and flour smells nutty. Through a sieve pour in milk all at once and stir until sauce has thickened. Discard garlic.
- Cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I always place a simmer mat under the saucepan).
- Pour in cream and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to use. To prevent skin forming place plastic wrap directly on top of sauce.