ROASTED EGGPLANT, RED PEPPER AND ZUCCHINI LASAGNE WITH PUY LENTILS
Garlic Bèchamel Sauce
1kg (4-5) lasagne sheets (dried or fresh)
45g (1/4 cup) Puy lentils (cooked to instructions on packet)
150ml fresh tomato sauce (commercial or homemade)(a commercial version is often called a pasta sauce)
250g (1) eggplant (cut into 7.5mm thick rounds and hot roasted at 220°C until soft through and golden brown on the edges).
520g (4) red peppers (roasted, skinned and cut into 1.5cm strips)
500g (5-6) zucchini (cut lengthwise into very thin strips and hot roasted at 220°C until soft and golden brown on the edges) 30ml (2 tbsp) basil pesto
75g (3/4 cup) tasty grated cheese
35g (1/2 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease base and sides of a deep gratin dish. (The interior of our gratin dish measures 27cm by 20cm). • Spread 150ml (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp + 1 tsp) Garlic Bèchamel Sauce over the base of the dish.
- Divide Puy lentils into 3 portions and sprinkle sauce with 1st portion of Puy lentils and cover with single layer of lasagne sheets.
- Lay eggplant on top of lasagne sheets and cover with 150ml of Garlic Bèchamel sauce.
- Top with 2nd portion of Puy lentils and cover with a single layer of lasagne sheets.
- Cover lasagne sheets with fresh tomato sauce and top with peppers.
- Cover peppers with single layer of lasagne sheets and spread sheets evenly with pesto.
- Lay zucchini onto pesto and top with 100ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) of Garlic Bèchamel and remainder of lentils.
- Top with a final single layer of lasagne sheets, remainder of Garlic Bèchamel Sauce and sprinkle with cheeses. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days until you are ready to bake and serve. Alternatively proceed to the next step.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Place in oven and bake 30-40 minutes until lasagne is soft and top is golden brown.
- Cut into generous pieces and serve.